Conveyancing/real Estate Secretary
Company Name: Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr
Job Category: Support
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Job Reference: ConvSec-Aug2018-JHB
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Matric/Grade 12
- A paralegal, secretarial, or administrative diploma in conveyancing would be advantageous
- At least 10 – 15 years’ experience with attending to bond registrations, bond cancellations and transfers.
- Should be proficient in Ghostconvey, Lotus Notes and AJS
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION AND CORRESPONDANCE
- Receives and screens telephone calls and resolves queries.
- Arrange appointments and parking for clients and book boardrooms and arrange the same if consultation is at the client’s premises.
- Meeting & signing conveyancing documents with end users (some senior secretaries are commissioners of oath).
- Check and update diary daily and have diarised files drawn
- Check each files balance on AJS and ensure files are placed on fee earner’s desk and report on balances.
- Maintains the team’s filing system (Opening, Closing, Updating and Archiving of Files).
- Complete FICA documentation when opening files and ensure documents are handed to the FICA office.
- Ensure that files and documents to be copied or faxes received are uplifted from the relevant tray and copies are made as required by the fee earner
- Ensure all copies are captured on file site and return copies and original documents to the fee earner
- Ensure documents are bound as required by the fee earner
- Determines need for, requisitions stationery supplies, and/ensures that repair and maintenance services are completed as required.
- Performs the most complex, administrative, legal, secretarial activities, which may be highly confidential, and sensitive, for the director and legal division.
PREPARATION OF AGREEMENTS AND OTHER LEGAL DOCUMENTS
- Draft all correspondence, deeds documents and fully utilising the conveyancing packages in accordance with the firm’s house style conventions as well as the firm’s precedent bank
- Draft formal letters, memoranda and reports using knowledge of work area instructions and guidelines.
- Proofreads and correct all prepared documents with due regard to speed, grammar, punctuation and accuracy
- Arranging lodgement and registration after obtaining all necessary consents
- Liaising with outside conveyancing firms on simultaneous transactions.
- Informing clients of registration progress reports
- Obtaining correct info relevant to the matter from client
- Obtaining deeds office printouts in respect of every transaction and checking for interdicts and endorsements.
- Tracking matters in the deeds office on a daily basis and signing off the daily deeds preparation list for registrations.
- Managing the application for and obtaining all required supporting documents for lodgement, depending on the transaction (e.g.: Municipal clearance figures, and transfer duty receipts).
- Responds to written and electronic queries with the assistance of the conveyancer, regarding the process of registration and checking for endorsements and restrictive title deeds.
- Is able to compile non-standard correspondence as required.
- Attaches incoming correspondence to case file and related materials needed for action.
- Assembles and summarizes information from files, newspapers, bulletins, journals, documents, and other available resources for use by the conveyancer, staff, or others.
- Makes recommendations for improving efficiency and economy of existing operations.
- Briefs Conveyancer on matters to be considered before staff meetings and on problems and issues affecting the Conveyancer’s area of responsibility.
- Establishes and revises forms, procedures, formats, and standards for office correspondence.
ACCOUNTS AND DEBTOR ADMINISTRATION
- Draft accounts as per fee earners agreements
- Manages the invoicing, billing and debt administration process for the conveyancer – full account management (Reconcile fees, disbursements, and payments of files. Utilising the AJS system and report all problems to the fee earner before generating the invoice.
- Post invoices to clients with appropriate covering letters
- Arrange for fee reversal as requested reporting back to fee earner regarding the results
- Receive and allocate invoices from third party service providers such as correspondents, couriers, electrical and contractors
- Assists the conveyancer with time recording and also records their own time.
- Print out WIP by Fee Earner and WIP by file owner statements and place on file in the conveyancer’s office.
- Ensuring that all fees and disbursements are collected prior to registration.
- Attend to Audit Requests and conflict checks as requested by Conveyancer.
- Identify and follow up on outstanding invoices with reference to the yellow file on a monthly basis and report to fee earner.
- Contacting the debtor regarding outstanding balances as instructed by Conveyancer
- Liaise with accounts department regarding receipt of payments, payment of invoices and trust funds.
- Delete all obsolete WIP as indicated on monthly WIP as per Fee Earner instructions
- Attending to all financial aspects of the property transaction.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency with MS Office package including MS excel and the CDH systems and procedures (AJS, File Site, Housetyle etc.) at a senior level.
- Excellent typing skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of accounting principles
- Good telephone and email etiquette
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Prioritising and organising skills
- Ability to follow complex instructions and/or guidelines as appropriate in the performance of support activities
57 total views, 3 today